Purchasing Joyfully After All

If you want to purchase a copy of my book just go to www.amazon.com and type in Joyfully After All. You will be able to purchase either the Kindle or the paperback versions. Happy reading and thank you for supporting women learning to claim victory and joy over rape!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Baby Steps


I thought that I was somewhat prepared for motherhood, and in many ways I was and in a plethora of ways I was not. I grew up around children of all ages. I love children and who (with a heart) does not love babies!?! I have a lot of experience as a child care provider (nanny, babysitter, cousin, aunt, etc) but experience can only prepare you so much. 

Experience has taught me many things I need to know: how to feed my child, what to feed my child, how to burp, bathe and change my child. I have learned many tricks to calm a fussy baby, to entertain baby and to help baby grow and develop. Experience taught me that babies grow and change quickly.

Experience did NOT teach me just how much I would love my lil Snowflake or how hard it would be to leave her in God's hands and not worry all the time. I find myself worried EVERY night. I am turning into THAT mom. I am turning into the mom that checks on her baby 5 times a night because I am afraid something is wrong if I don't hear her snoring over the monitor (I don't even really need the monitor she is right across the hall). I worry that she is too warm or too cold. 

I don't want to be THAT MOM! I want to be the mom that takes care of her child(ren), that showers them with love and discipline, that helps them grow in a nurturing way. I want to be a godly example to my children, and letting myself worry about EVERYTHING is not godly. Worry says to God "I don't trust you". I do trust God and I know that my worry isn't going to change anything. She is ultimately in God's hands whether I surrender myself to that knowledge or not. 

So, I am taking baby steps and slowly learning that being a mom is a privilege, joy and stressful. Being a mom is so much fun (but also exhausting). Being a mom is many things, but it should not be a life full of worry. I am taking baby steps to remind myself to pray every time I get worried, to remind myself that I do know what I am doing as a mom, I have a good support system of fellow moms and even more I serve the living God that loves me and loves my little Snowflake.

Just as the little Snowflake is taking baby steps every day in her growth and development, I too am taking baby steps in my growth as a mom, and it feels great! 

-JLP-

No comments:

Post a Comment